We continue to marvel at Natalie's face and her new expressiveness. Any concerns about seeing her with a trach have completely faded away-we just see Natalie.
She is much more comfortable as long as she isn't being moved. Her new project seems to be getting her hands on the ND tube and pulling that out but so far her efforts have been thwarted.
That is sort of where the good news about recovery ends. Her O2 requirements have been hovering right around 86%. Sometimes a little lower, sometimes as high as 100%. Her lungs have been very wet from surgery so she is back on twice a day lasix. This afternoon they started to think outside of just recovery issues and decided to get a CBC and CRP to look for possible infection. Her CBC is perfect but the CRP is 64 (this is a general indicator of infection and should be <10). The CRP could just be from surgery, but blood and urine cultures were collected to rule out infection. She is back on antibiotics while we wait out culture results.
Her CO2 has been all over the place. We've been watching her vent settings slowly climb back up and it is so frustrating. The fentanyl seems to be suppressing her respiratory drive and she is not breathing enough over the vent. The fentanyl will be slowly weaned in the next few days so hopefully we'll see some improvement then.
Feeds were restarted this morning. She is at 3cc/hr now and will go up 1cc every 6 hours for the time being (full feeds are 27cc/hr).
We need prayers. Patience for us and wisdom for her doctors. This has been a very difficult 2 days. Even while we know the surgery is causing the set back I will not feel at ease until she turns the corner and starts making progress. So far they have not been able to figure out just what will do that.