Wednesday, March 10, 2010

breaking out

Yesterday Baby Girl had a wonderful no-stress test. My blood sugars have been incredibly good regardless of what I eat. I now refer to the diagnosis as My-So-Called-Diabetes.

Today we had another routine u/s and Baby Girl is a nice solid 2 pounds. My AFI (amniotic fluid index) was only a little over 3 cm, but I lost a great deal of fluid last night and was expecting it to be low. We also had a long heart to heart with the attending maternal fetal medicine specialist. She feels that I am at a point where we could safely consider following the pregnancy as an outpatient. I have been very stable and they expect things to continue to be stable. She thinks we are competent enough to monitor things for infection and we live close enough to get to the hospital in an emergency.

This is something we have talked about a great deal and is not a decision I take lightly. I have reached a point, however, that I think for my mental health I would be much better off at home. The risks of being away from the hospital are very low according to everyone we have talked to. It would be different if I were on monitors here 24/7 but I am not. Therefore the chances of them catching a compressed cord here in time to do anything about it is as likely as I am to notice at home. We are renting another Doppler so I can listen in at her whenever I want and I can come in as an outpatient for non-stress tests and u/s.

We also know that we can choose to be readmitted at any time, so this is somewhat of a trial run. I have promised to not go upstairs more than once a day and to rest as much as possible.

So, when Steve is done with work today he will come get me with Anneliese. I can not wait to tell her I am coming home and to have the freedom to spend time with her every night and tuck her into bed. I am not 100% comfortable with leaving the hospital but when we weigh the true risks against the benefits it is the best choice for us right now.

Thank you again for your thoughts and prayers. We are certainly very hopeful for our little girl and it is so nice to watch her grow bigger and stronger with each u/s. Today the doctor told us she is optimistic. This is the first time a doctor has said something remotely positive about the potential outcome (the second most positive statement being "it is not impossible"). We thank you for being hopeful with us.


  1. That title scared me! I thought Baby T was "breaking out." So glad it's Stable Mable who's on the loose! Congrats on your new freedom! Finally a roommate of your choosing!

  2. Yay!!! I am so happy for you JT! Im sure you will be much happier at home. It will bring new challenges Im sure but I know you will do great! Kristina

  3. That's awesome! I like the word "optimistic" I will continue to pray for Baby Tee and you guys of course!

  4. I'm SO HAPPY for you, wonderful news!! I bet Annie was pretty excited too! And think, now you can watch Lost 15 times in a row if you feel like it, you don't have to choose between House, American Idol and Lost! :-) Now, keep getting bigger and stronger, Baby Girl!

  5. Congratulations! I'll still try to bring you a salad next week. :-)

  6. JT. I cried. I am so happy for you! We are continuing to pray for baby Tee!