Saturday, May 8, 2010

Saturday

Overall today has been a good day for Natalie. Her temperature has been a little elevated for two days and they think her isolette is too warm for her. While she is the teeniest little baby I've seen, by NICU standards she is hefty and the bigger babies sometimes find it hard to stay cool in the isolette. They lifted the lid today to see how she would tolerate being exposed. There is an open air crib with her name on it in the hallway waiting for her.

They have reduced her blood gases to every 6 hours because obtaining samples has been difficult. A carbon dioxide monitor was added to her breathing tube to give them a better idea of how she is doing between tests. Her afternoon blood gas was "too good" so they reduced her breathing rate on the vent from 40 to 35. When I called for the evening update her 10PM blood gas was also good so they lowered it further down to 30. No adjustments have been made to the pressure settings on the vent as she did not tolerate the changes they tried earlier this week. Her oxygen requirements are still higher than they were on the oscillator but they are in an OK range. The biggest improvement has been her respiratory rate-it is finally down to the 50's and 60's.

Her foot continues to heal. It is still discolored but the inflammation is improving. She has another u/s scheduled for Monday to monitor the clots (there is one in her right thigh and one by her liver). The attending said the clots surprised them and asked if we have a history of clotting disorders in our family. My sister does have one so there is a possibility that Natalie inherited it as well. They will not do coagulation studies on her at this point as they require a lot of blood and she does not have enough to spare. It also won't change how they treat her.

She had two nice big messy diapers while we were visiting. I have never considered a poopy diaper to be such a beautiful sight before. My face was beaming as the nurse changed her. As long as she tolerates the feedings well they will increase in 1cc increments every 12 hours. Right now she is getting 2cc/hour and they need to get to 12cc/hr to be considered full feedings.

I am really really hoping Natalie gives me a great Mother's Day tomorrow with some smooth sailing.

I saw this quote on another pPROM mom's blog and wanted to share it here as well. It has been a great source of strength to me as I've faced Natalie's recovery.

Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.

Isaiah 41:10


Please keep continued prayers for Natalie's health, wisdom for her medical team and strength for her parents.


I realized I have not shared any pictures of her since the ones taken the day she was born. These are nearly two weeks old but you can see she is clearly a beautiful baby girl



The one time we have been allowed to snuggle....this is bliss.





Annie playing behind the nurses station the night I was discharged. She misses the nurses terribly but does not want Mommy to return to the "hopsibul."

7 comments:

  1. I am praying for all of you. Natalie is absolutely beautiful and Annie is as cute as a button. Have a very blessed Mother's Day. You are a wonderful mom. XXOO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to see pictures! I know it adds to the time it takes to blog so all the more exciting to see. I LOVE that you have finally been able to hold your sweet little girl. Thinking it may be a while before I can hold Timmy again and it's breaking my heart.

    I couldn't agree more - this is one roller coaster ride you can't really adjust to. It's more like Space Mountain because you're in the dark and each curve ball just takes you by surprise.

    Hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures! She's beautiful! Happy Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is beautiful. Thank you for sharing more pictures. Have a Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Mother's Day! Yay! Annie and Natalie have a great mom!

    Love,

    audra

    ReplyDelete
  6. your girls are absolutely gorgeous!

    we are continuing to pray for you all and am glad that Natalie is doing better.

    Happy Mothers Day JT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pictures!! Especially the one of you holding her. What a precious moment. Hoping it won't be much longer until you are doing that all the time!

    ReplyDelete